"...as a band, we want to be a generation that pours into the next."

Friday, May 2, 2014

Faith

Hey guys, it's Tanner! I'm so glad you all are still following along with us! We have some exciting news! Last night we received our first mix from our producer, Brett, for our song "Battle Cry," and it sounds amazing. Keep prayers up for Brett as he is going through this whole process.

I want to share with you a subject that has been on my mind a lot recently, and that's the topic of faith. I feel like so often when asked if we have faith in God our immediate response is "Yes!," but that is such a loaded question. To have faith in God doesn't simply mean to believe that he is real or that he came and died for us. Faith in God means you trust him in the little things: in your finances, relationships, job situations,etc.


Let me specify that simply having faith is not enough. In James 2 he is saying how faith without works is dead, and nothing has ever been more true. We have to have a balance between faith and action. If we only have faith that things will happen, without works, then nothing will ever happen. On the other hand if we only have works, even if they are good works, but don't have faith, then we aren't relying on God, and we are doing it by our own strength.

As humans, and especially as a guy, we want to do everything ourselves and by our own power. It seems counter intuitive to ask for help on something we can do "on our own." This is where faith comes in. Faith that God can take you farther than you could ever take yourself on your own. Another reason it's hard to have faith is because many times it will seem counterintuitive. Story time! About 2 years ago I was working 2 jobs: U.P.S and Osborne Wood Products. During this time I felt God tugging on my heart to work with the youth at my local church, Foothills Community Church, but that would take sacrifice. Through prayer I decided that it was time to drop the job at U.P.S and help with youth worship. This was going great until 3 weeks later I got laid off from Osborne's. My faith was being tested, and I knew it! So I was looking for a job and got an interview at a textile company. They asked what shifts I could work, and the only shift I told them I couldn't was second shift. I got a call back later offering me a position, and you guessed it, it was second shift! I was distraught! It would seem foolish not to take this job! I have bills! But I felt God telling me not to take it, so I didn't. That was one of the hardest things I've had to do because it took faith that God had my best interest in mind. Now fast forward a year and I see that God was right. I am now employed as the worship leader at my church and also have an additional job! God is good!

I hope through all my rambling you got to see a glimpse of my heart on faith. None of us get it right all the time, but we strive to. If you're having trouble in your faith, or just don't understand it, let one of our band members know. We have a prayer team at church that would love to join you in prayer on your journey of faith!


-Tanner 

No comments:

Post a Comment